Sunday, June 17, 2012

The Book Thief

The past few weeks have been wonderful. When I'm not in the gym for volleyball workouts, or at work, I'm reading. I was skipping class one day a few months ago and I went to my favorite teacher, Steph's, classroom. She was teaching a younger class so I went and sat in my usual seat at her desk. I was looking for something to do and she told me to start reading the book she'd started: "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak. I read the first page and knew immediately that no matter what, I was going to have to finish that book. The way it is written is so unique. It's written in death's point of view during WWII. Yes, I am aware that it sounds gruesome. I thought it sounded horrible but it is honestly written so beautifully. It really makes you think about things on a deeper level than we, as humans, are used to. I speak for all of us when I say humans are generally shallow minded, meaning we become too comfortable with things as they are and don't care or try to make changes or think deeper than what we consider comfortable. It is definitely on my top 5 list of favorite books! It is a must read. It's one of those books that you have to keep telling yourself, "Ok. Just one more chapter, then I really need to go to sleep." And before you know it, it's 5 o'clock in the morning. The pages just seem to drag you in and won't let you escape.

No comments: